Just 18 years old, Pedri is impressing and surpassing all expectations in his first season at FC Barcelona… the Tenerife native has quickly become one of Lionel Messi’s favourite linkups in the Barça team. He will debut with Spain senior team this March.
Five things you might not know about Pedri:
1. His childhood hero was Barcelona legend and LaLiga ICON Andres Iniesta. The youngster has spoken on numerous occasions about the all-time great midfielder was his reference as a budding footballer and the reason why he grew up a Barça fan. His family were already Barcelona fans, however; his grandfather founded the Tenerife-Tegueste Barcelona supporters club.
2. He is the youngest player to ever score for UD Las Palmas, his first professional club. His goal against R. Sporting in LaLiga SmartBank on September 19th 2019 at the age of 16 years, 9 months and 23 days, wrote his name into the club’s history books. His debut season was so astonishing that he was playing for UD Las Palmas senior team just one single season before FC Barcelona signed him.
Ironically, even when he was born in Tenerife, scouts from the island’s giant CD Tenerife initially considered him to be too small and skinny to excel at the top level, so he finally played for UD Las Palmas, the historical rival in the Canary Islands. That same year 2018, when he signed for UD Las Palmas, he also had a trial at Real Madrid, aged just 15.
3. He’s already left his mark on LaLiga Santander. At the age of just 18 years and 42 days, Pedri is the youngest player to ever score a goal and provide an assist in the same game in the history of Spain’s top flight (vs Athletic Club at San Mames).
4. To date he’s the only player to provide two backheeled assists this season, both of which went to… you guessed it, Leo Messi. His backheeled assist against Real Valladolid was of historical importance; it was the goal which saw Messi overtake Pele in all-time goals scored.
5. He actually started playing football thanks to his brother, Fernando. His brother’s coach asked Pedri to join the team at the tender age of just four! The bond between the brothers is strong to this day; they live together in Barcelona, and Pedri wears his shinpads to every game.